We are very excited to share with you VPLEX CloudArray integration that creates exciting new use case extends the key VPLEX use case of mobility to public and private cloud storage. Here are some other great updates for VPLEX covered towards the end of this article:
- MetroPoint scales up big time (more than 200%) : to 4500 virtual volumes
- VPLEX Local supports UNMAP on XtremIO
- Two new “VPLEX Saves the day” stories
Positioning CloudArray integration
We are proud to announce the integration of Cloud Array with VPLEX. This creates a completely new use case of moving cold data to cost effective cloud storage.
Benefits to the customer
Key value proposition: CloudArray allows VPLEX customers to lower their cost of storage and adopt a pay per use model for their low-tier storage for secondary copies and cold data.
- Seamlessly move workloads from primary storage arrays to low-cost cloud storage and back
- Lower the cost of their archive tier
- Take advantage of database level partitioning to move colder data to cloud
- Differentiated capability for VPLEX vs. IBM SVC and other competitors
- Help drive attach to Virtustream vs. alternate cloud providers
Key use cases
The use case for cloud storage behind VPLEX hinges on temporal locality: the need to access older data (sent to cloud storage) is much lower than very recent data (that can be cached in CloudArray). Following is a use case that shows the need for varying speeds of data access.
Splunk host/warm/cold/frozen tiering – CA to provide frozen/cold tiers
Splunk is an application that collects logs from datacenter equipment and enables query functionality on those logs. It collects enormous amounts of data over time. Since the more recent information is generally more interesting to queries / analytics, Splunk has the ability to tier data (typically by time) into hot/warm/cold/frozen tiers. The frozen tier is not included in any queries at all unless it is promoted back to cold.
It is possible to store cold / frozen tiers on CloudArray so that faster and more expensive primary storage arrays are freed up. They would only have to serve the hot/warm tiers in this case.
Microsoft Exchange archive mailboxes
Due to cost concerns, users are often provided mailboxes which are too small. Users can then use archive mailboxes to store older emails for posterity and this is common practice. Exchange even allows one to setup policies to automatically move older emails to an archive mailbox.
With CloudArray, it is possible to host the inbox on primary storage and archive mailboxes on cloud-based storage for lower cost. Since archive mailboxes are accessed less frequently, CloudArray provides adequate performance to host these.
Oracle and DB2 Database partitioning by key (i.e. timestamp)
Databases such as Oracle 12c and DB2 offer the capability to partition tables by a primary key – which could be a date. In this way, older data can be stored in a separate table which can live on slower storage – such as CloudArray. Since it is touched less frequently by database queries and since the database queries that do access these records tend to be Decision Support workloads (sequential in nature) the performance of CloudArray is appropriate for hosting this older data.
SQL Server snapshot / backup long term retention, manual tiering
Database administrators often use snapshots for operational recovery of their databases. The older the snapshot, the less likely it is to be used. With VPLEX and CloudArray, it is possible to migrate snapshots from the primary array to the Cloud so that it can be deleted from the primary array. This frees up space on the primary array and lowers the total cost of keeping these various copies of the database.
- Cloud storage behind VPLEX gives a unique competitive advantage to EMC solution over solutions like IBM’s SVC and HPE’s 3Par.
Ordering and Pricing Information (if applicable)
- A new frame based licensing is available for CloudArray. MyQuotes ordering is available from February 8th.
Call to Action
- Target customers with significant cold data (more details in this QSG) who are considering cloud storage and pitch VPLEX data mobility across Cloud and on premise arrays
- Take the opportunity to explain online tech refresh and load balancing use cases of VPLEX data mobility to further increase the RoI
VPLEX Enablement Center
White boarding data mobility
VPLEX saves the day
VPLEX with VNX: Customer Presentation
For further questions or assistance with your VPLEX sales opportunities, contact the VPLEX Sales Specialist in your area or email VPLEX Deal Support Desk.