New attractive pricing with VNX 5200 and 5400
Win small array business (SMB and ROBO accounts) with compelling value of VPLEX data mobility and continuous availability at a very new attractive pricing. Separate SA article.
“VPLEX saves the day” story
We recently got a service report from China. A faulty UPS at Shanxi People’s hospital forced one of the arrays to reboot. The customer logged this with EMC but was confident in their availability strategy! Sure enough VPLEX was mirroring the array to a second array so business went as if nothing happened! Yet another VPLEX saves the day story.
A customer from Kentucky reported they could save 360TB of mission critical data thanks to VPLEX mirroring
Please find the latest deck with these stories here. Here is a snapshot info graphic of these stories that we will go on social media:
UNMAP support on XtremIO
VPLEX attach rate with XtremIO is on a rise. Customers pick XtremIO for their most mission critical workloads and VPLEX’s becomes a natural choice to provide continuous availability for those applications across mirrored arrays locally or over distance. VPLEX engineering is aggressively adding new capabilities to allow more XtremIO data services go through VPLEX.
The newly added support for UNMAP allows VPLEX to free unused blocks from thin volumes provided by XtremIO arrays. With this capability, you can now reduce the size of thin volumes when you move VMs or delete content from ESXI hosts and even within certain VMs. Engineering already started working on extending the UNMAP support to locally mirroring and Metro use cases.
MetroPoint (VPLEX Metro with RecoverPoint) scales big time
With GeoSynchrony 5.5 Patch 1, MetroPoint scales up to 4500 virtual volumes, something many of VPLEX largest customers have been asking for.
The MetroPoint configuration brings together VPLEX Metro and RecoverPoint to offer continuous availability across metro sites while protecting both the sites with a long distance DR site/copy
We are very excited to share with you VPLEX CloudArray integration that creates exciting new use case extends the key VPLEX use case of mobility to public and private cloud storage. Here are some other great updates for VPLEX covered towards the end of this article:
- MetroPoint scales up big time (more than 200%) : to 4500 virtual volumes
- VPLEX Local supports UNMAP on XtremIO
- Two new “VPLEX Saves the day” stories
Positioning CloudArray integration
We are proud to announce the integration of Cloud Array with VPLEX. This creates a completely new use case of moving cold data to cost effective cloud storage.
Benefits to the customer
Key value proposition: CloudArray allows VPLEX customers to lower their cost of storage and adopt a pay per use model for their low-tier storage for secondary copies and cold data.
- Seamlessly move workloads from primary storage arrays to low-cost cloud storage and back
- Lower the cost of their archive tier
- Take advantage of database level partitioning to move colder data to cloud
- Differentiated capability for VPLEX vs. IBM SVC and other competitors
- Help drive attach to Virtustream vs. alternate cloud providers
Key use cases
The use case for cloud storage behind VPLEX hinges on temporal locality: the need to access older data (sent to cloud storage) is much lower than very recent data (that can be cached in CloudArray). Following is a use case that shows the need for varying speeds of data access.
Splunk host/warm/cold/frozen tiering – CA to provide frozen/cold tiers
Splunk is an application that collects logs from datacenter equipment and enables query functionality on those logs. It collects enormous amounts of data over time. Since the more recent information is generally more interesting to queries / analytics, Splunk has the ability to tier data (typically by time) into hot/warm/cold/frozen tiers. The frozen tier is not included in any queries at all unless it is promoted back to cold.
It is possible to store cold / frozen tiers on CloudArray so that faster and more expensive primary storage arrays are freed up. They would only have to serve the hot/warm tiers in this case.
Microsoft Exchange archive mailboxes
Due to cost concerns, users are often provided mailboxes which are too small. Users can then use archive mailboxes to store older emails for posterity and this is common practice. Exchange even allows one to setup policies to automatically move older emails to an archive mailbox.
With CloudArray, it is possible to host the inbox on primary storage and archive mailboxes on cloud-based storage for lower cost. Since archive mailboxes are accessed less frequently, CloudArray provides adequate performance to host these.
Oracle and DB2 Database partitioning by key (i.e. timestamp)
Databases such as Oracle 12c and DB2 offer the capability to partition tables by a primary key – which could be a date. In this way, older data can be stored in a separate table which can live on slower storage – such as CloudArray. Since it is touched less frequently by database queries and since the database queries that do access these records tend to be Decision Support workloads (sequential in nature) the performance of CloudArray is appropriate for hosting this older data.
SQL Server snapshot / backup long term retention, manual tiering
Database administrators often use snapshots for operational recovery of their databases. The older the snapshot, the less likely it is to be used. With VPLEX and CloudArray, it is possible to migrate snapshots from the primary array to the Cloud so that it can be deleted from the primary array. This frees up space on the primary array and lowers the total cost of keeping these various copies of the database.
- Cloud storage behind VPLEX gives a unique competitive advantage to EMC solution over solutions like IBM’s SVC and HPE’s 3Par.
Ordering and Pricing Information (if applicable)
- A new frame based licensing is available for CloudArray. MyQuotes ordering is available from February 8th.
Call to Action
- Target customers with significant cold data (more details in this QSG) who are considering cloud storage and pitch VPLEX data mobility across Cloud and on premise arrays
- Take the opportunity to explain online tech refresh and load balancing use cases of VPLEX data mobility to further increase the RoI
Following table summarizes the changes to the pricing:
|VPLEX Local||VPLEX Metro|
|VNX 5200||45% reduction in LP||50% reduction in LP|
|VNX 5400||20% reduction in LP||30% reduction in LP|
The new prices will be automatically available on February 8th.
Win VNX Opportunities for Small scale businesses and ROBO use case
Small and medium businesses are resource constrained and highly price sensitive when it comes to IT infrastructure spend. This leads to a price war that is hard to win, especially in the small array segment. The best approach is to sell a solution that enables IT to achieve a lot more than adding tera bytes of storage. With the new reduced pricing of VPLEX for VNX 5200 adnd 5400 EMC offers the most compelling value proposition for a small array:
- Cross data center continuous availability (check out “VPLEX saves the day” stories)
- Non-disruptive tech refresh forever
- Less capital intensive storage life cycle management
- Take advantage of the latest storage technology with no-hassle online tech-refresh!
- The ability to load balance application performance with existing EMC/non-EMC storage
VPLEX for existing VNX frames
VPLEX is the best way to prepare greenfield accounts for their next tech refresh. Educate your customers about VPLEX’s legendary data mobility! They never need to do another tech refresh that is a weekend killing monster but instead of take advantage of new shiny storage of more than 70+ storage models (vendor agnostic) from day one!
For further questions or assistance with your VPLEX sales opportunities, contact the VPLEX Sales Specialist in your area or email VPLEX Deal Support Desk
Watch our demo video and learn how to download, install, and configure the EMC Isilon OneFS Simulator.
The Isilon download package contains the simulator for EMC Isilon OneFS 188.8.131.52 (VM) and the installation guide.
Please follow the step by step installation instructions as indicated in the document.
- Minimum of 2 GB RAM for a virtual node
- 6 GB RAM recommended per virtual node Processor
- VT-capable processor
- Microsoft Windows (recommended)
- Ubuntu (Linux)
- CentOS (Linux)
- 17 GB of free space for the first node
- 16 GB per additional node
- Standalone components:
- VMware Server
- VMware Fusion
- VMware Workstation
- VMware Player
- VMware vSphere components:
- VMware ESXi 5.1.x
- VMware vCenter Converter
- Standalone or VMware vCenter Converter
Ready to unlock the OneFS simulator advanced features? No problem. Contact your Account Representative or System’s Engineer to receive your free “evaluation license key” valid for 90 days. If you are new to EMC Isilon, email us directly.
As we enter into 2016, we are kicking off a quarterly Business Unit webcast series that will help you stay informed of all the top news and updates our Business Units are bringing to market. These webcasts will focus on strategy and priorities in each of our critical areas of business and enable you to make more money with EMC in 2016! You can register for these upcoming events by clicking on the links below.
Winning With EMC Emerging Technologies: Isilon & Software Defined Storage Update & 2016 Strategy
January 21st – 1:30-3PM EST.
The emerging technologies team will provide updates on the successes EMC and its partners are experiencing and preview what’s to come in 2016. They’ll focus on the trends they’re seeing in the market and share best practices, areas of greatest opportunity, and resources to help our valued partners have a successful 2016.
EMC Primary Storage Portfolio Series: Q1-16 Spotlight on VMAX3 & XtremIO
February 4th – 2-3PM EST.
This webcast will cover:
- Product news – A summary of Q1-16 product updates and a preview of what’s coming in VMAX3.
- Lessons learned from the field – How we win, why we win
- Partner enablement –The tools available to help you be successful selling EMC primary storage.
- Our Call to Action – Focus areas to win the sale with EMC in 2016
Data Protection Everywhere 2016
February 8th – 2-3PM EST
This webcast will cover:
- Business update – New ways EMC is investing in the channel in 2016 to help you grow your data protection revenues
- Product news – Introduction of the new Data Domain Virtual Edition and a sneak preview of what else is coming in the first half of 2016
- Partner enablement – Update on campaigns and other GTM initiatives to help you be successful
Don’t miss this opportunity to learn more about our 2016 priorities and how you can make an impact in 2016!
|To ensure that we continue to deliver a secure file sync and share service with a great user experience, we are announcing the end of support for the following older client platforms:
· Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10
o As you may be aware, Microsoft has announced the end of support of older Internet Explorer versions. Syncplicity will follow suit and stop support of Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 on March 31, 2016.
· Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8 and Safari 6
o Syncplicity will end the support of Mac OS X 10.7, Mac OS X 10.8 and the Safari 6 browser on March 31, 2016.
· Syncplicity Mac Desktop Client 1.x and 2.x
o Syncplicity will end the support of its older Mac Desktop Client 1.x and Mac Desktop Client 2.x on March 31, 2016.
When will this take effect?
Syncplicity will end the support of Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8, Safari 6, and Mac Desktop Client 1.x and 2.x on March 31, 2016.
What action must I take?
More recent browsers, operating systems and desktop clients are fully supported on Windows and Mac! Please upgrade your clients to a supported client platform.
What happens if I take no action?
Users will continue to be able to access the service from older clients. However, users may experience unforeseen issues. In this event, Syncplicity Support will be unable to assist until users upgrade their older clients to a supported version.
Who can I contact for further information?
If you have any questions, please contact our Support Team (email@example.com).
The following links will helps you to find information & support just one click away:
EMC Online Support: Log in or register to access support tools, downloads, technical information, and experts.
Support Community: Access our interactive community to connect with other EMC users and experts.
Live Chat: Use Live Chat for the fastest response to all technical and support questions.
EMC Secure Remote Support: Leverage ESRS for 24×7 monitoring and a proactive, preemptive approach.
EMC Customer Support Guide: Comprehensive guide to customer service policies, best practices and resources.
Global Service Centers: Contact numbers for EMC support centers.
- Data Domain Operating System (DD OS) version 5.4
- Data Domain Management Center (DDMC) version 1.1
- Data Domain Boost for Open Storage version 2.x and 1.x
- Data Domain Boost for Recovery Manager version 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2
Over the years, EMC has introduced leading edge technology in products that provide enterprise wide solutions to our customers’ information technology needs. As enterprise technology and customer requirements have evolved, so too have EMC’s products.
In line with this evolution, EMC continues to market and support:
- DD OS versions 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7
- DDMC versions 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4
- DD Boost Open Storage versions 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2
- DD Boost RMAN versions 1.3
If you have not already done so, EMC strongly recommends that you implement one of the above releases as soon as possible.
Licenses covered by a current EMC maintenance contract, you can obtain DD OS 5.7, DDMC 1.4, DD Boost Open Storage 3.2 and DD Boost RMAN 1.3 at no separate charge. If your license is not currently covered by an EMC maintenance contract and you wish to reinstate DD OS, DDMC, or DD Boost, please contact your Renewal Sales Account Manager.
In addition, EMC is announcing the schedule on which support and maintenance for some older releases of DD OS, DDMC and DD Boost will be terminated so that we may concentrate our efforts on the current technology. Implementing the most current release, especially for those using DD OS 5.4, DDMC 1.1, DD Boost Open Storage 2.x or 1.x, DD Boost RMAN 1.0 and 1.1, permits use of the latest features and functionality.
The details are as follows:
As of June 30, 2017:
- For customers that have an EMC maintenance contract, DD OS 5.4, DDMC 1.1, DD Boost Open Storage 2.x and 1.x, and DD Boost RMAN 1.0 and 1.1 will no longer be covered thereunder as such release has reached the end of its Primary Support period. The EMC maintenance contract will remain in effect and for use in connection with those release designations that remain eligible for support under the EMC maintenance contract.
Contract Related Notices
- In accordance with the timeline set forth above, for DD OS 5.4, DDMC 1.1, DD Boost Open Storage 2.x and DD Boost RMAN 1.0 and 1.1 covered by an EMC maintenance contract, EMC provides you with notification that:
- All support for DD OS 5.4, DDMC 1.1, DD Boost Open Storage 2.x and DD Boost RMAN 1.0 and 1.1 terminates as of June 30, 2017 but your then current EMC maintenance contract for DD OS, DDMC and DD Boost will continue to apply to other, more current releases in the manner provided in the EMC maintenance contract.
- Please note that the upgrade process may be complex. We recommend engaging our Professional Services organization to accelerate your time to implementation and minimize any potential disruption.
This latest technology enhancement is an example of EMC’s ongoing commitment to meet your information infrastructure needs today and tomorrow. Your local account team is fully knowledgeable in the upgrade process as well as the support status of your current products. If you have any questions, contact them or your EMC Service Manager.
Organizations across multiple industries have been feeling the impact of unstructured data growth,
and a Data Lake will help your customers consolidate and eliminate storage silos, lower costs, and harness the power of data assets.
Isilon, the industry’s #1 scale-out NAS storage platform, offers expanded storage capacity, support for new workloads, and enhanced data protection and security options to help customers build the strong Data Lake they need to manage unstructured data.
With the products launched in 2015—Isilon HD400, Isilon X210, and Isilon NL410—customers can:
• Utilize highly efficient and resilient scale-out storage solutions for up to 50 PB in a single Isilon cluster—a 2.5X capacity increase
• Reduce data center operating costs—including power, cooling, and floor space requirements—by up to 50%
• Achieve 33% more capacity than older systems
• Get simplified management and increased data center flexibility
ECS, a software-defined, cloud scale object and HDFS storage platform, also helps customers tackle the unstructured data challenge with a Data Lake.
With ECS, your customers can efficiently store billions of objects while delivering data anywhere to any device. You can offer customers a cost effective, private cloud object solution that delivers the public cloud simplicity, but with the control and security of keeping the data on premise.
Earn more revenue by bringing your customers to the next-gen Data Lake
Isilon and ECS provide your customers with the building blocks for a strong Data Lake…but the next steps are to help customers who want to extend their data lake from the data center to edge locations.
In November 2015, EMC introduced new Isilon software products so your customers can implement a Data Lake 2.0 strategy that allows them to extend their business data lake to the edge, optimize the core, and embrace the cloud.
The new Isilon software products, generally available in 2016, include:
• EMC Isilon OneFS.NEXT – the next generation of the EMC Isilon operating system
• EMC IsilonSD Edge – the first software-defined storage solution with the power of Isilon
• EMC Isilon CloudPools – a new software product that extends data lakes to the cloud
Also in 2016, a new release of ECS will give you an edge in the object storage world, enable you to upsell major competitors, and deliver compliance and data-at-rest encryption so you can easily offer upgrades from legacy EMC object platforms to ECS.
Get ready to win in 2016
Visit the Isilon and ECS Enablement Centers on the EMC Partner Portal to find tools, demos, and other resources to help you sell, and utilize the Isilon and ECS marketing collateral as tools to close deals and attract new prospects.